neshura

@neshura@bookwormstory.social

This profile is from a federated server and may be incomplete. Browse more on the original instance.

neshura ,

I'd be very careful with those words given that lemmy.world is rather trigger happy with defederations.

It is almost impossible to completely censor away content and anyone can bridge blocks by creating a new intermediary instance where they can view content of mutually blocked instances but it's not like you see all the fediverse content on any instance.

Matter of fact you just need to look at the blocklists of most instances to get a pretty good guess at the other, less legal, Fediverse out there running almost in parallel to the popular one. But since almost every instance has those blocked you don't see any of that shit in your feeds. Highly censorship resistant, but ultimately an individual is still at the mercy of their instance admins.

neshura ,

Due to some concerns about Gitea's future I would recommend Forgejo instead. It's a drop-in replacement with less concerning contribution policies and management structure.

neshura ,

Gitea is managed by a for profit which is now offering a hosting service. That alone is already a conflict of interest because one of Giteas core features is the easy self hosting.

Then the contribution guidelines have been made stricter, anyone contributing now has to give up their copyright to the gitea management, meaning they could change the opensource license to a stricter one down the line without requiring community consent.

The concern is that as time passes features will be locked behind a premium tier for self-hosters or the self-hosting itself will be made more difficult in an effort to push their cloud service.

neshura ,

The way I see it have them show through actions that they won't EEE for a good few years with whoever is willing to risk it. If they don't show any signs of EEE then, I might reconsider my stance on federation with them. Until then I'll keep threads.net on the blocked list of my instance.

neshura ,

If they are having instance owners sign NDA's they must have pre-selected who to talk to or only target Mastodon because feddit.de just pre-emptively defederated threads.net after users made the owner aware of the news and it's one of the largest instances (even more so if you go by MAU which is arguably what Meta would be intersted in).

neshura ,

Can confirm, my mail server does just about everything I found it needs to do to not get flagged spam. And it doesn't except for Gmail. Not even Microsoft has "Spam" filters that strict beyond checking the basic records.

On the browsers, I think in large parts Google should have never been allowed to push for their own Browser in their own products simply because the have monopolies in so many of them. Free market this and that, IRL it doesn't work without some regulations and imo (American) Tech companies have been allowed too much freedom to abuse the market whichever way they like.

neshura ,

> make a new messenger using a niche protocol
> new users choose your messenger because it is objectively the best after you dumped unreasonable amounts of cash into it
> userbase grows, in large parts because the small messenger is interoperable so you can say "hey, if other company wanted to they could just implement [protocol] for you, we are already doing that"
> once userbase reaches critical mass, pull the plug on the protocol
> users with long chat histories and contact books are now more or less stuck on your platform whether they like it or not because getting people to switch suddenly means two messengers instead of one for them, not a good proposition to make.

XMPP did take off while it was in Messenger, Facebook decided to kill it with its superior reach because it was a step-ladder rather than something actually useful to them.
Facebook will absolutely use the Mastodon interoperability as a marketing trick "Hey guys, if you have friends that don't like threads they can use another platform and still talk with you". They'll use it to distinguish threads from twitter until they feel like they don't need it anymore. Then they'll find some sort of technical excuse and pull the plug on ActivityPub support.

neshura ,

I had to constantly skip back and forth to figure out where one word starts and another ends. Very painful to read, I've found new appreciation for whitespace.

neshura , (edited )

Honest question: What is/are your problem(s) with Svelte? So far it seems a lot easier to use than react to me but I wouldn't consider myself experienced so there might be unwelcome surprises waiting.

neshura ,

We already sort of did, it's called tauri

neshura ,

yeah you're right, wasn't fully awake I guess

neshura ,

Just piling onto this I really hate how it's always portrayed as if ftl would somehow break causality. I cannot for the life of me figure out any way in which something travelling faster than light would do that. Travelling faster than sound doesn't break the air eithe (well it sort of does but the air is still there working as air once the sonic boom has passed it)r.

Bit of a tangent but I get the feeling a lot of scientists are stuck revering the old geniuses a bit too much. Einsteins formula is basically taken as gospel, to suggest it might be inaccurate is seemingly treated as heresy and I don't think that's a good thing.

Newton's theory of gravity was also revered as undenoable fact but lo and behold it was severely inaccurate. What makes these people believe it's any different with Einstein and co? (arguably this could be down to the media distorting sentiment among scientists but that only improves things marginally)

neshura ,

Raubmord is what we call a murder resulting from a busted/discovered robbery, essentially just escalating the consequences of the robbery further.

What I think OP is getting at are the absolutely ridiculous penalties you get for “stealing” something that physically doesn’t exist in a way we can grasp and cannot be reported mssing once “stolen”. I’d probably guess you’d be easier off actually stealing a movie from a store selling blurays than downloading it and getting caught so the renaming OP did fits perfectly imo

neshura ,

Doesn’t make it any better of a practice. If anything it just highlights what kind of trashcan company Ferrari avtually is

I feel like the Steam Deck is the best proof of Gabe Newell's quote that "piracy is a service issue."

They could have easily crammed the Steam Deck full of stuff to make it hard to use for piracy - locking down everything, making it usable only to play games you legitimately own, force you to go through who knows what hoops in order to play games on it. That’s what Nintendo or Apple or most other companies do....

neshura ,

I actually bought some games on Steam I already owned on other launchers because while I could set them up via Lutris or the like just hitting “Play” is so much easier it’s unreal. Valve is doing so much to make Linux game as comfortable as possible I don’t even remotely consider buying from anyone else because there it’s a pain in the ass just to get the game running once, never mind keeping it running through updates

neshura ,

By now Steam’s most loyal userbase is probably the Linux Gaming community because they make it so easy to just play the games, not to mention the QoL improvements they contribute to upstream projects

neshura ,

you do realize it is absolutely possible to lock down a Linux install? Every Android device essentially is just that and their bootloaders are only unlockable because they were forced to by EU law. Steam absolutely had the option to make a Linux based DRM shitfest, in some ways it would have been easier even, they just chose not to

neshura ,

actually making linux usable with the deck controls was probably more work than locking the users out of the desktop mode even

neshura ,

The point is just using it gives you no experience to talk about how easy it is to lock down an OS, administering one does. EatYouWell is absolutely right in calling out that you don’t administer linux, as you say yourself: you don’t, you use it. And that difference shows in the falsehood of your comment: it is possible to lock down Linux to levels like a PS5 and anyone administering Linux would know that from their knowledge of the underlying components.

neshura ,

yes but most isp’s (at least where I live) change the IP in the middle of nobody-should-be-awake-anyway o’clock

Plus the connection drops only for a minute or two at most unless ypu set a really high ttl on the domain dns record

neshura ,

Not sure if possible but have you checked whether the running user is an application property? If so you could maybe manage it via application or window rules.

Can’t check rn because I’m away from my PC but it’s worth a shot checking imo.

neshura ,

Same, really interested in that data

neshura ,

ironically investing between the middle and the end of a company crisis is a good idea if you are certain the company will come out in one piece at the end because the price is about as low as it will get due to the fresh outrage. Of course if the company goes under that’s a different story

neshura ,

during the entire API fiasco some people had a look at their financials and the conclusion was that they should be making a profit if their revenue numbers are remotely correct. Somewhere in this pit of dung they have several money pits of unknown nature

neshura ,

Superstonk is so brainwashed by the mods that they would “naturally” (more like: any opinion other than that gets removed) start theorizing that Hedgefunds want to buy reddit only to shut down Superstonk. Just to highlight how bad the Superstonk mods are: The word “Lemmy” gets you autobanned

neshura ,

What makes you think we expect any data? It was just a kind request if you had any lying around, if not that’s perfectly reasonable. No reason to get dickish about it.

neshura ,

sure buddy, it’s the beginning of a bad faith argument and gaslighting, suree… If it helps you sleep better we can all pretend that’s what it is and not just some random people genuinely interested in that data.

neshura ,

Most Publishers in any Industry are a cancer on society. Cramming DRM in where they can while scalping both customers and creators whilst gaslighting both into believing continuing to shovel money to their overpriced services is in their best interest.

neshura ,

CDN services certainly but not DNS, we’re all profitting from Cloudflare & Co having fully automated DNS because that is the sole fact currently holding back court ordered DNS blocks on a large scale.

The DNS Providers do not discriminate and that fact guarantees them (largely) not being forced to discriminate. Not interfering with anyone’s DNS is the most Cloudflare can do for the piracy community because it ensures Publishers can’t just send an angry email to get a DNS block

neshura ,

I say most because if there is even a single one doing what they are supposed to do then saying “all” would be wrong and I am aware of at least one offering drm free ebooks (unless you consider an embedded username in the epub file drm) at reasonable prices while (as far as I am aware) not fucking over the authors

neshura ,

I would be less critical of this if it was not the same company managing Gitea, it seems like a decent enough platform but having Gitea be OpenSource is a detraction from possible profits because nothing stops anyone from creating a service like this for cheaper.

I hope the company behind this stays on the good path but I’m not holding my breath, I’ll be sticking to Forgejo for the time being.

neshura ,

From my personal experience running GitLab and Forgejo (Gitea Drop-In replacement/Fork):

  • Gitea/Forgejo is easier to get running
  • UI is less bloated/faster
  • GitLab redesigned their UI and imo it’s shit now
  • No features locked behind a “Pro” Version (Pull or Bidirectional mirrors are for example unavailable on GitLab self-hosted unless you shell out for premium)
  • Gitea Actions is a lot more intuitive than GitLab CI, this is likely personal preference but it’s still an important factor
neshura ,

From the way the explain it this is just “more secure” but only if you use a shared VPS for your hosting, which I have no idea what percentage of hosters do. Seems like confusing but valid marketing to me.

neshura ,

Forgejo has different development priorities but feature wise they should be identical since the Forgejo devs also push their code upstream into Gitea

neshura ,

huh, would you look at that. Pretty stupid move and something that makes this entire thing even more suspect. Glad I picked Forgejo over Gitea

neshura ,

I have honestly no idea what the GitLab devs did but their service is such an incredible memory hog it’s insane. Obviously GitLab has a pages service tacked onto it but my GitLab instance (mostly legacy but a friend still uses it so it keeps chugging along) eats a whole 5GB of RAM while my Forgejo Instance only uses 200MB. I have no idea where all of that memory is going because it sure as hell isn’t going into responsitivity. I’ve no idea if I configured something wrong or if it’s GitLab pages but it’s still excessive

neshura , (edited )

I’ll try to summarize:

  • Gitea is managed by a For-Profit that apparently popped out of nowhere -> profit motive conflicts directly with FOSS and since the corp isn’t well known it must be assumed acquisition was solely to make money
  • Gitea now requires Copyright attribution, meaning if you push code to Gitea in an existing file it ain’t your code anymore -> omega level oof for a FOSS project because this essentially kills any upstream contributing (as seen by Forgejo deciding to stop their contributions)
  • This Cloud Service being offered when Self-Hosting Gitea is really easy, again -> profit motive conflicts with FOSS but now on steroids because a “core” feature of their service will limit their ability to make more money
neshura ,

see my reply here

neshura ,

Codeberg is iirc the main entity behind it, at the very least they are using some of their funds to support it

neshura ,

That is one awesome set of new features

neshura ,

wait Jira is a Java website?

That explains so much…

On that note: Why is it every single time a piece of Software I find runs or feels like absolute Garbage it turns out it was written in Java? (Ok all things being fair occasionally the ancient PHP App is in the mix as well but it’s 95% Java Apps being shit)

neshura ,

see the problem I have here is by banning a word that is used as a slur maybe once every 1000 times you remove the 999 times it was not used as a slur, thereby making the situation worse rather than better. Banning words does fuck all to promote a healthier culture, all it does is make the vultures migrate to the next word they load up with negative connotations

neshura ,

A lot of smaller things, at least for me. The biggest grievance I have with it is the garbage tier UX between hitting “Deploy” on a stack and getting ito to do so. Error messages in the notification bubble get cut off, are unhelpful amd/or disappear too fast. That and the L9g Voewer sucking ass are my main problems with it and why I’ll definitely check this out.

neshura ,

Sounds easy enough to implement tbh, will maybe take a look later how much work that’d be because it’s a must have for me as well

neshura ,

Didn’t know about that, would go into the same category as Arch then.

neshura ,

Depends on how you categorize “Linux” User, if you include anything running a Linux Kernel as “Linux” then the vast majority have no clue they’re using Linux.

I'm done with NextCloud

Just had NextCloud denying my credentials (not for the first time). I know they weren’t wrong because I’m using a password manager. Logs didn’t say much. Was about to reinstall (again, not the first time nextcloud went bonkers on me) before I tried a docker compose down && docker compose up. Lo and behold after a restart...

neshura , (edited )

As someone with a beef server: Nope, performance stays unsatisfactory. Redis helps a lot but only if the page is cached which tbh just makes the experience worse if the page isn’t cached

Edit: I’m using the AIO installer though, as discussed elsewhere in this post that might be the root cause of the poor performance, will check on the weekend by installing nextcloud manually in a fresh vm

  • All
  • Subscribed
  • Moderated
  • Favorites
  • random
  • SciFi
  • fountainpens
  • Mdev
  • test
  • meta
  • announcements
  • wanderlust
  • vexblue
  • anki
  • dev_playground
  • VideoEditingRequests
  • All magazines